Stanford Electrical Engineering

You are here

Undergraduate Students


Undergraduate students usually declare their majors in their second year of study (and no later than the beginning of junior year) and then continue in a major subject for the duration of their undergraduate studies.

Students interested in pursuing a major in Electrical Engineering should carefully read the information on this page.

Declaring EE as your Major


1. Declare a major in EE on Axess.  Do not declare EE Honors yet. If you decide to do an Honors thesis, you will declare EE Honors on Axess later.

2. Complete a copy of the Declare a Major Form. The "Area of Interest" is particularly important to assist in the choice of a faculty advisor. It can always be changed.

3. Arrange to meet with the Associate Chair of Undergraduate Education by emailing: rdutton (at) to set up an appointment.  Make sure to bring your Major Declaration Form and your unofficial transcript to the meeting. The purpose of the meeting is to go over the basics in getting a BS in EE, and to assign an EE faculty advisor.

4. After the meeting, bring your Major Declaration Form to the Degree Progress Officer in Packard 177.

5. Meet with the Undergraduate Advising TA in Packard 110. The TA may assist you with filling out a program sheet. The program sheet details the classes you will take in order to fulfill the requirements for the major. Information on the requirements and petitions for program deviations, transfer and AP credit can be found in the School of Engineering Undergraduate Handbook.

6. After completing your program sheet, meet with your assigned faculty advisor and have him/her sign it. Return it to our Degree Progress Officer in Packard 177 by the end of the quarter following when the major was declared. Changes to the program can be made later by turning in a new program sheet with your faculty advisor's signature. However, no changes to the program can be made during your final quarter. 

7. You will be subscribed to both the EE undergrad and the general EE student mailing lists.  These lists are used for announcements about degree requirements, seminars, research and job opportunities, as well as other events on campus.







FAQs For EE Undergraduate Students


If you are unable to find the answer to your question here or need additional information, please contact the Undergraduate Advisor at

Double Majors and Minors

Q: If I am majoring or minoring in another department, can I use math and science classes to count toward both departments’ requirements?
A: Classes used to satisfy the 45 unit math/science requirement can be used for multiple departments' requirements. If you are using a math or science class as part of your engineering depth (part of the 60 units), then it cannot be used to satisfy another department's requirements.

Program Sheets

Q: What happens if I decide to take different classes from what I listed on my program sheet?
A: There is no need to turn in a new program sheet every time you decide to take new classes, unless those new classes are not pre-approved and require a petition. You may also want to turn in a new program sheet if you have made a lot of changes and want to be sure that it still meets all the requirements. However, for everyone, by the end of the quarter before you graduate (usually winter of senior year), you should turn in a new program sheet signed by your advisor listing which classes you ended up taking. When you turn in your final program sheet, make sure you know what you will be taking in your final quarter, since it may be very difficult to make changes in the last quarter.

Q: How many of the signatures do I need to obtain myself?
A: Have your advisor sign your program sheet. Print out an unofficial copy of your transcript. Take the program sheet and the unofficial transcript to Huang Room 135. Darlene Lazar or Nan Aoki will approve your AP credit and then send your program sheet back to the EE Degree Progress Officer for your file.

Petitions and Substitutions

Q: Do petitions for transfer credit and course substitutions need to be taken care of before I declare?
A: No, they can be taken care of any time up until the quarter before you graduate. However, BE CAREFUL. If you wait too long, and your petition is not approved, you might not be able to graduate on time. Also, depending on how busy people are, the petition may not be approved in time. Once you plan to petition for transfer credit or a course substitution, submit the petition as soon as you can.

Q: Who is in charge of approving petitions?
A: Petitions pertaining to math/science electives or STS requirements are handled by the School of Engineering, and should be submitted to the Dean's Office in Huang 135. Petitions pertaining to the engineering depth (fundamentals + core + specialty + electives) or required math/science classes (for example, EE178/Stats 116) are handled by EE's Associate Chair for Undergraduate Education, and should be submitted to EE Student Services. In the case of transfer credit, you will need to obtain approval from the Student Services Center in Tresidder  before submitting your petition to Huang or Packard.

Q: How do I get approval for a course substitution for the engineering depth?
A: Fill out a new program sheet including the new class you wish to take. Then, attach a note explaining why you feel this course substitution is justified, and mentioning any relevant course information (i.e. class syllabus, note from the professor). Also attach a note from your advisor supporting the course substitution and have him sign your new program sheet. After the Associate Chair looks at it, you will hear whether it has been approved. Then turn it in to the EE Degree Progress Officer in Packard 177.  DO NOT simply ask the Associate Chair whether he would approve a certain course without following these other steps. He only grants approval after seeing how the course fits in the student's overall program, and if the student's advisor is okay with the change.

Q: How do I get approval for a course substitution for math/science classes or the Technology in Society requirement?
A: You can obtain petitions from the Engineering Undergrad Handbook, which can be found online at Petitions should be submitted to Darlene Lazar in Huang 135.

Q: I'm an international student and I took the equivalent of the Math 40 series in high school. I do not have IB credits. Do I need to retake those classes at Stanford?
A: No, you should not retake those classes. You should meet with Darlene Lazar in the School of Engineering Dean's Office to discuss the possibility of getting a waiver for those math classes.


Q: When does the application process for REU begin?
A: The process generally starts around the beginning or middle of winter quarter. If you are interested in applying, please visit

Q: Can I participate in REU more than once?
A: You can participate in REU multiple times, but priority is given to students who have not participated before.

Q: How can I get involved in research during the year?
A: It is possible to do research during the year and get credit for it, by enrolling in either EE190 (credit/no credit) or EE191 (letter grade only). To find a research group you may want to work in, you can look at the faculty listing at This will give you an overview of the types of research that different professors are doing. Alternatively, you can talk to your advisor about your interests and see if they recommend any specific professors or groups. Once you get a list of professors, you can email them, asking to meet with them to talk about research opportunities, or visit them during their office hours. If the professor does not have any specific projects you could help with at that time, another way to get involved is to ask about sitting in on research group meetings.


Q: How often should I meet with my advisor?
A: We recommend meeting with your advisor at least once a quarter, if for nothing else than to discuss what classes you plan to take and get feedback.

Q: How do I arrange to meet with my advisor?
A: This will vary from professor to professor. Some will have an administrative assistant whom you should email to set up an appointment. For some professors, you can directly email them. Another option is to visit your advisor during their office hours.


Q: Where can I learn more about the coterm program?

A: For the department's policy on coterm applications, please visit here.

Q: How early/late can I apply for the coterm program?
A: The earliest quarter you can begin is the first quarter in which you have completed 120 units toward your BS degree (including AP and transfer units). The latest you can begin the coterm MS program is the final quarter of your bachelor's degree (typically spring quarter of senior year). You must have at least one quarter where both degrees are active (so you see both open programs in Axess on the Student Center tab).  You must apply in the quarter prior to your proposed start quarter (latest quarter to apply would be winter quarter if you want to graduate with your BS in June). Application deadlines are posted here.

Q: Can I count classes that I took before being admitted to the coterm toward my graduate degree?

A:You can count classes taken in the two quarters immediately prior to your first quarter as a coterm toward your graduate degree. For example, if your first quarter as a coterm student is winter quarter of senior year, you can count classes from spring of junior year and fall of senior year toward your graduate degree. However, these classes will then not be allowed to count toward your undergrad degree.

Q: Does my tuition rate change once I have been admitted to the coterm program?
A: As long as you still have undergrad status (i.e. you have not yet graduated), you will be assessed the undergrad tuition rate for 12 quarters. Once you apply to graduate with your undergrad degree, or once you have accepted graduate financial assistance (such as an RA or TA position), you will be assessed the graduate tuition rate, and cannot return to the undergrad rate.

Q: Does being a coterm student affect my housing?
A: You are still guaranteed 4 years of undergrad housing.










































Research Opportunities for Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate Honors Program
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)

International Opportunities for Undergraduate Students

Bing Overseas Studies Program(Stanford Programs)
Overseas Resource Center (Overseas Scholarships for U.S. Students)
One year program for undergraduates at L'Ecole Centrale Paris