Stanford, California 94305
Antony C. Fraser-Smith
- Originally a member of the Space, Telecommunications and Radioscience
Laboratory ( Star Laboratory Faculty & Staff) but now,
re-organization of the Department, a member of the faculty group working in area of Physical Technology and Science.
- Low Frequency Electromagnetic Fields
- Undersea Communication and Detection
- High-Sensitivity Magnetic Field Measurement Devices
- Eccentric Dipole Model of the Earth's Magnetic Field
- B.Sc., in Physics and Mathematics, University of New Zealand (1959)
- M.Sc. (Hons.), in Nuclear Physics, University of New Zealand (1961)
- Ph.D., in Space Physics, University of Auckland, New Zealand (1966)
- A.A., in Spanish, Foothill College, California (1996)
- Most aspects of low-frequency fluctuations of the Earth's electromagnetic fields
including low-frequency radio noise
- The Earth's magnetic field
- High-sensitivity conventional and superconducting magnetometers
- Magnetic field gradiometers
- Undersea communication and detection at low frequencies
- The use of electrodynamic tethers in space to generate low-frequency electromagnetic signals
- Measurement of low-frequency electromagnetic precursors to earthquakes
- Author of over 150 technical papers.
- My role, and some information.
Recent Graduate Students
- Zahra Koochak (2013 - )
- Cécile Mackay (graduated Ph.D. in Dec 2011)
- Darcy Karakelian (Geophysics; graduated Ph.D. in 2002)
- Dana Porrat (with Prof. Donald Cox; graduated Ph.D. in 2002)
- Thomas T.-M. Liu (graduated Ph.D. in 1999)
- Scott D. Williams (graduated Ph.D. in 1999)
- Douglas A. Chrissan (graduated Ph.D. in 1998)
Classes and Seminars
- EE106/GP106 - Planetary Exploration: Spring quarters.
- EE242 - Electromagnetic Waves: Winter quarters.
- EE249 - Introduction to the Space Environment: Fall quarter,
alternate years (given 2005, 2007).
- EE350 - Radioscience Seminar: Winter quarters (Important Note: I
stopped teaching this Seminar in 2001).
- This endowed graduate student fellowship supports students with an interest in the radio sciences.
- Mailing Address:
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- David Packard EE Building, Rm 333
- 350 Serra Mall
- Stanford University
- Stanford, CA 94305-9515
- Room 333, David Packard Electrical Engineering Bldg.
- (650) 723-3684 (office)
- (650) 723-9251 (fax)
- Administrative Associate:
- Ms Julia Gillespie
- Room 365, Packard Electrical Engineering Bldg.
- (650) 723-2681
- (650) 724-3652 (fax)
- Useful Maps:
- (1) Map of the
San Francisco Bay Area (Stanford University is located
next to the town of Palo Alto).
- (2) Map of Stanford's immediate vicinity.
- (3) Searchable Map of Stanford.
- (4) Location of the
Packard building (a new building just below the blue circle).
- (5) Map showing Recommended parking
(in Parking Structure 2. The building labelled Elect. Engrng. at the corner of
Via Palou and Serra Mall is the Packard Building.)
Brief Personal Information
At Stanford since 1968.
Fellow of (1) the Institute of Physics (London), and (2) the Geological Society of America.
Senior Member of IEEE.
Member: American Geophysical Union, American Physical Society (life member), URSI (Member-at-Large,
Physics Faculty, University of Auckland (1961-1966); Research Scientist,
Lockheed Missiles and Space Co. (1966-1968); Chair of Applied Physics,
Naval Postgraduate School (1980, on leave); Department of Electrical Engineering,
Stanford University (1968-present); Department of Geophysics, Stanford University (1992-present);
Associate Chair, with responsibility for graduate student admissions, Department of Electrical
Engineering, Stanford University (1995-2000).
Advisory Panel, Overhead Power Lines Project, State of New York,
Chairman, Russian Earthquake Prediction Evaluation Study, Environmental Working
Group, U.S.-Russian Joint Commission ("Gore-Chernomyrdin Commission")
on Economic and Technological Cooperation, 1995-1997.
More information is provided in a biographical sketch .
The Fraser-Smith Family's swimming hole on the Bear River, near Grass Valley, Northern California.
- Last update: October 20, 2016.